The dates of the summer school are set for arrival on Monday 13 Jan 2020, with a welcome reception that evening, and lectures starting on Tuesday morning. Lectures would end at approximately 13:00 on Sunday 19th January 2020, followed by lunch, and then an afternoon departure. The reception on Monday 13 Jan is scheduled to start at 17:00
More details TBA
|11am-11:30am||Morning Tea||Morning Tea|
- Piotr Chrusciel, "Introduction to mass and energy in general relativity” (4 hours)
I will describe various approaches to the definition of total mass and energy in general relativity. We will discuss roads to the ADM mass from the perspective of Riemannian geometry, or from that of variational identities in spacetime. Ambiguities will be discussed, and alternative expression for the mass will be presented. The lectures will conclude with the introduction of the Trautman-Bondi mass, which describes the energy of the gravitational field in the radiation regime.
Suggested reading: https://homepage.univie.ac.at/piotr.chrusciel/teaching/Energy/Energy.pdf
- Mirjam Cvetic, "Properties of Black Holes in Supergravity and Superstring Theory” (4 hours)
- Lectures by Mirjam Cvetic
- Claudia de Rham, "Gravity as an Effective Field Theory” (4 hours)
- Thomas Schucker, "Gravitational birefringence of light?” (1 hour talk) Schucker.pdf
- Clifford Taubes, "Introduction to the differential and geometric topology of 4-dimensional manifolds" (4 hours)
- Edward Witten, "Light Rays, Singularities, and All That" (4 hours)
The paper at https://arxiv.org/abs/1901.03928 is recommended preparatory reading.
Witten-Lectures-Handout-Full.pdf: Ed Witten lectures --- full set of slides