MATH321/322/323 (2019) - Home Page
Welcome to the home page for MATH321, 322, 323, and 467 for Trimester 2, 2019.
The Particle Physics module will start with the first lecture from Sebastian at 9am Weds 17 July in AM104
For each one of the courses (Math 321/322/323 or Math 467) you enrol in,
you will need to complete two
modules (distinct modules, no double counting; except that Particle Physics is a double module - it counts as two modules due to its size). The Modules for 466/467 are more work than the 300-level modules; see the module owner or module details for more about this.
Please alert the owner/lecturer of each module you choose. Please also email the course coordinator Mark McGuinness
to advise your choices.
Please note that MATH323, being also a geophysics course, requires that you do the Tensors module, plus one of (Meteorology or Ocean Fluids or Mathematical Modelling).
The Fractals module is not offered in T2. The Inverse Theory module is not offered this year. A special treat this year is the double module called Particle Physics, led by Sebastian and Jessie, and also the Mathematical Modelling module, offered in the first half of T2 by Andrew Fowler.
Thanks to Jack Weterings for volunteering to be Class Rep for MATH321, 322, 323, and 467. You can contact Jack by email at weterijack at myvuw dot ac dot nz
MODULES ON OFFER in T2:
- Special relativity, Matt Visser,
- Quantum mechanix, Matt Visser,
- Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanix, Matt Visser,
- Oceanic fluids, Dimitrios Mitsotakis,
- Meteorology (reading course), Jim McGregor,
- Meteorology (project), for selected students only, Jim McGregor,
- Cartesian tensors, Martha Savage, after the midTrimester break.
- Mathematical Modelling, Andrew Fowler, before the midTrimester break. Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri 11:00-11:50 in CO531. This has started already.
- Particle Physics, Matt Visser, This topic is worth two modules, so you do not need to do another module if you do Particle Physics and just want one course credited. It will be lectured by Matt's students Sebastian and Jessica. Three of these slots will be used: Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri 9-9:50 in AM104. First lecture is 9am Weds 17 July.
Only enrol in the semester in which you will complete the second of the two modules you need. Or both at once, in the case of Particle Physics.
(You can if you wish informally take one module now, in T2, and we will keep the marks for next year when you formally enrol and complete the other module.)
Special rules apply for Honours students (Math 466/467); basically you will need to do extra work.
(And Honours special relativity is sufficiently different from 3rd-year special relativity that this the one case where you can do both...)
Individual lecturers may set different deadlines and requirement for their modules:
Ultimately it is the student's responsibility to make sure they contact the appropriate lecturer
and make sure they do the required reading and assignments by the specified deadlines.
The scheduled lecture times are Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri 9-9:50 in AM104. Three of these four days will be used for Particle Physics lectures, starting Weds 17 July, Week 2.
There is a second set of lecture slots on Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri 11-11:50 in CO531. These will be used for Mathematical Modelling in the first half of T2, and started on Mon 8 July. Three lectures and a tutorial, in each week.
Course Coordinator: Prof Mark McGuinness
Other lecturers: Prof Matt Visser
, Dr Dimitrios Mitsotakis
, Jim McGregor
, Martha Savage
, John Townend
- Special relativity (Matt Visser, reading)
- Quantum physics (Matt Visser, reading)
- Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics (Matt Visser, reading)
- Oceanic Fluids; also called Fluid Mechanics and the Mathematics of Tsunamis (Dimitrios Mitsotakis, reading)
- Meteorology Reading (Jim McGregor, reading)
- Meteorology Project (James Mc Gregor, project, available to selected students)
- Cartesian tensors and introduction to applications (Martha Savage, lectured, second half of Trimester 2)
- Mathematical Modelling (Andrew Fowler, Adjunct Professor, lectured, first half of Trimester 2, Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri 11:00-11:50 in CO531)
- Particle Physics (Jessica Santiago, Sebastian Schuster, Matt Visser, this is a double module, lectured, all of Trimester 2. Three of these slots will be used: Mon, Weds, Thurs, Fri 9-9:50 in AM104. Starting Weds 17 July.)
MODULE CHOICES FORM:
Module Choices Form, 2019 T2